Friday, September 20, 2013

Fall Fridays: Beef Barley Soup


I absolutely love fall. It is by far my favorite season and the Nebraska weather is giving us glimpses of fall and it makes me so happy. I love the crispness in the air, the changing leaves, the cornfields turning brown. While spring, I think, celebrates new life, fall celebrates the culmination. It celebrates all of life. Running is just better too with the cooler temps and faster paces.

Well, any pace right now is faster for me after time off. I'm getting better. My IT Bands, while they still get sore, are not constantly painful and my feet for the most part feel good. I have been diligent with the strengthening exercising my chiropractor gave me and {started last Wednesday} I am going to do a full strength training routine 2 days a week. I back to running 3-4 days a week averaging about 30 minutes total with about three 1-2 minute walking breaks {per my training plan}. I find the walk breaks help me from getting so fatigued that my form suffers and bad form=injuries. I am definitely out of shape and it is discouraging sometimes. I fight myself daily over whether it is worth it--and it is so I keep going.

Anyway, in honor of my favorite season, each Friday I am going to post something fall related and I going to start with a SOUP recipe. I have a hard time eating soup when it's hot outside, but about the second the temperatures drop, I'm in the mood for soup again. Beef Barley Soup is one of my favorites. It is hearty, filling, cheap, and easy. It makes great leftovers and to top it all off, even my boys will eat it.

Beef Barley Soup

1 pound hamburger, browned and drained
5 cups beef broth
1-14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained
2 cups sliced carrots
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup quick-cooking barley


In a large pan, combine hamburger, broth, tomatoes carrots and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook for 10 minutes. Add barley, return to a boil, cover and cook until barley is tender--about 10 minutes.

What is your favorite season?
Favorite soup recipe? I'd love to try it.

No comments:

Post a Comment