Sunday, August 4, 2013

MRC Day

Yesterday morning I got up early and had my coffee and bagel and headed off to a local 5k. But not to run. Instead of running (due to injury), I volunteered for my first race! 
Loved the pink volunteer shirts.

This race benefiteParent Project Muscular Dystrophy and a local family that have three boys with Duchenne Muscular Dystrophy. I do not personally know the family, but some friends do and were on the planning committee for the race and activities of the day and that is how I got involved.


I loved my first volunteering experience. I helped primarily with sorting t-shirts and handing out the packets to the people who had pre-registered, but I also jumped in helping pull tags at the finish line and directed people on the mile fun run. I love the energetic atmosphere at races and the fact that this was going to a specific family just added an extra special feel to it. It was extremely family oriented and there was tons of entire families who registered. I was wishing that I had brought my boys! (But I had all the car seats, so my husband couldn't bring them after they woke up--fail on my part).




There was a great turn out and tons of people who registered the day of--so there were way more people than expected.
Start of the 1 mile Fun Run
I didn't even wish I was running the race, I had so much fun helping. It was great being on the other side of the race and I definitely think I will be more appreciative of races I do in the future. It was pretty well organized and we only had a glitch with not having names on the tags of the people who registered race day and three of the award winners registered that day. But we got it all figured out.

If you ever get a chance, I'd highly recommend volunteering--it's a fun look at the other side of the race.

Have you ever volunteered for a race? What was your experience?

3 comments:

  1. I love volunteering at races! It's super motivating and usually emotional for me. Without volunteers, there would be no races!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true! It's amazing to see all the work that goes into races, it's easy to take it for granted!

      Delete
  2. Yes! I love volunteering. Sometimes I try and do a combo volunteer/run situation, to get the best of both worlds. And family-friendly races are so great. The trail races around here are really family friendly, and I want to take my kids out to help volunteer next time.

    ReplyDelete