Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Mistakes

So I haven't really been wanting to blog, because you see I haven't really been running. And I didn't really want to write it down, because then it makes it too real that I am injured.  I also didn't want to sit here and whine and complain because nobody has time for whining and complaining....especially because I don't know what to do. I am at the point that I think I need a professional opinion to get to the root cause of this. And I don't know who to see. And whining and complaining without doing anything to fix it really isn't cool. But I really do feel like this:
from here


So I'm not here to complain. I'm here, wishing I knew what was wrong and wishing I could run.

And reflecting on my mistakes:

1) Diving in too quickly after Nolan was born. When my other two were six months I was up to about 4 miles and when Nolan was 6 months old, I ran a 1/2 marathon. And I don't think my body was ready. I was motivated and it seemed fine, but was tearing down my body more than I realized. And in order to get to that 1/2, I was pushing my body more than I would have without the race deadline looming over my head.

2) Not doing enough core work or strength training. Sure I did some, but not enough especially not to rebuild my core after pregnancy.

3) Too.much.information.online. I know just enough about running since I've run for 11 years, but not enough to coach myself through 1/2 marathons 6 months post-partum while struggling with injuries. I was self-diagnosing and self treating and that's just a bad idea. Please don't try it.

4) Running through IT Band pain. It doesn't go away unless you stop running.

5) Trying to increase my mileage and speed at the same time. I was increasing my weekly mileage at a fairly conservative rate, but by throwing in a day of speed work. Needless to say that 2 weeks of that and now I'm not running.


What lessons have you learned from past mistakes?
Anyone deal with IT Band/hip flexor/foot or ankle problems (yes I'm pretty sure they are all related) what sort of doctor did you see?

2 comments:

  1. Injuries suck. It's good that you're taking time off to let it heal; runners are the worst patients. I used to have IT problems all the time. Now I do leg strengthening exercises to prevent it. I hope you heal up soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why is it just so hard to stop running before it gets to the point it is too painful to run??? *Sigh* Strength training here I come.

      Delete