Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Navicular Pain

As I mentioned yesterday, I had been having some pain in my foot. I had a chiropractor appointment for my back anyway and I asked him about my foot. I showed him the point of pain and sure enough it was my navicular.

Location of the navicular: 
In technical terms: "This bone is situated on the medial side of the foot and forms a proximal articulation with the talus and distal articulation with all the cuneiform bones. It may occasionally be articulated laterally with the human cuboid bone." (source)

And then my preferred way-pictures:
Function of the navicular:
"It is an important part of the human medial longitudinal arch, which is the highest among the three arches of the foot. This arch plays a significant role in the even distribution of body weight through the bones in the foot. The bone also helps to hold the arteries running through the foot." (source)

So basically what had happened is my navicular had popped out of place and was causing stress on my arch and my ankle and calf felt weak and was causing my right foot to overpronate. My chiropractor said that it can pop out of place quite easily, but is popped back in easily. As soon as he was done he had me walk around to make sure everything felt fine and immediately I noticed a difference. My foot felt more stable and I didn't feel as much stress on my ankle. 

I can't say for sure when this happened, but according to what I read about The Essex Runner's experience it can be caused by shoes that are too narrow or shoes that are tied too tightly. It seems that I have a fairly high arch and sometimes I have problems getting the lacing over my instep comfortable. I ran for the first month after I started running postpartum in too small, worn out shoes or it could have happened during pregnancy when everything is looser than normal due to the relaxin.

Stress fractures of the navicular seem quite common according to my google search, but I had ruled that out in my head already, because my navicular on both feet were sore although the right much more than the left.

I'm running today for the first time since a week ago yesterday. I hope that my rest will have gotten my aches and pains under control enough because I have a race July 13 and I want to be a least somewhat prepared.

What was your last injury? What did the treatment look like?
Do you ever see a chiropractor?


10 comments:

  1. I hope you can get back to your normal running routine soon! It's no fun to be sidelined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so glad you figured out what's going on! My last injury was my off and on shin pain... seems to be under control again, but it's something I keep a close eye on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wouldn't running be so much better if we never had to worry about injuries!?

      Delete
  3. My husband has been dealing same kind of pain for the last few months now. I'm not sure if it's gone now. I haven't ask him about it. I guess it's not bothering him anymore.

    Hope you feel better soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! Glad the chiro was able to fix it easily! I see a chiropractor semi-regularly because I have problems with my hips rotating. Lately I've been feeling great though and haven't had to go in a few months!

    ReplyDelete
  5. “...my navicular had popped out of place and was causing stress on my arch and my ankle...” - I could imagine the pain you felt. Thankfully, you're lucky in two things: first, that it can be popped back easily; and second, for having a chiro to guide you on your recovery. _Shan@ BrandonChiropractor.net

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pain is a clear sign that something is not working as it should. Good thing you asked about it to your chiro when you had your appointment. At least you were able to know what’s causing it and the possible treatment to apply, if it was needed. How are you now, btw? I hope the pain didn’t last long after.

    Mark Wallace @ Chiropractic Memphis

    ReplyDelete
  7. What an informative post! While others opt for pain medications that are readily available, chiropractic treatment can help you maintain the strength of your joints and muscles. I do hope you continue to attend chiropractic treatment. Have a great day, Renee!

    Erick Barnes @ DenverChiropractorForYou

    ReplyDelete