Saturday, May 25, 2013

My Attempt at a Progression Run which Ended Up Being More of a Tempo

After my 5:30 am wake up yesterday, I failed miserably today and didn't run until 12:05 pm. And even if the thermometer doesn't say it's that hot, it's hot at 12:05 pm. Hot, humid and windy. The wind has been ridiculous lately. We haven't gotten a break from it at all--it blows all day and all night. Usually at least it will die down at night. And we got 1.8 inches of rain last night. And you could tell by the humidity.

But I would say that it is an accomplishment to have done it. I didn't put it off or cut it short. I just did it. I had decided to attempt some sort of progression run. My first ambitious thought was 2 miles easy, 2 miles faster than those and 2 miles still faster. But with the heat and wind and my current level of fitness I went with

2.5 miles easy-just under 10:00/mile pace(2 of those were directly against the 20 mph wind)

1 mile faster-8:58 mile (really I kept my effort the same, but since I wasn't running against the wind anymore, it was faster)

and 1 mile faster yet-8:43 mile (is it cheating because the wind was directly at my back this mile?)

1.5 miles-ended up being super easy about 1. 25 miles from home I started feeling the effects of the heat.

For a total of 6 miles which ended up being more of a tempo run

Really for the weather conditions and my fitness level, it probably wasn't too bad of a workout. I'm trying to get some speed back in my legs by focusing on shorter, but faster runs (than my 1/2 training which was all just easy running trying to get to the race uninjured.)

I came home and my husband made me a protein smoothie and I rehydrated with some NUUN (I mixed the Tropical and Fruit Punch flavors in 32 oz of water--pretty good especially since I wasn't a big fan of the Fruit Punch flavor) and ate leftover pasta salad for lunch.


I'm off to take it easy while my boys are all sleeping :)

WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE TIME OF THE DAY? 
naptime!
WHAT DID YOU HAVE FOR LUNCH TODAY? ARE YOU A FAN OF LEFTOVERS?
I never use to like leftovers, but now I look forward to them.
HAVE YOU EVER TRIED NUUN? WHAT'S YOUR FAVORITE FLAVOR?

2 comments:

  1. I like mixing nuun too when I get a flavor that I'm not digging. I felt that way with lemon lime in the beginning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I love naptime, too! Nice job on your run.

    ReplyDelete