Monday, January 7, 2013

new shoes and a new plan

I got new shoes this weekend.  I have had on and off problems with my right ankle for years and just recently got a diagnosis--Achilles tendonitis.  I decided to try new shoes since I've run in basically the same shoe for the last 6 years.  This last weekend we were in Colorado Springs and I took advantage of having a nearby running store {the closest one to me is 2 hours away} and had a gait analysis done.  The whole process was super interesting and I feel confident that these shoes are good for my feet.  The guy that helped me was super knowledgeable and helped me make a decision, but wasn't pushy in the least--which I so appreciate.  It turns out that I need a lot of stability in my shoes to keep the right Achilles tendon straight.  My feet run differently, but since my right is the problem foot, we fitted the shoes to it.  He also said that since I am only 2 months postpartum, I may require more stability now than a few months down the road because of the hormones that allow everything to stretch.  I ended up with the Mizuno Wave Alchemy 12 .  I liked them because it has a narrower heel, but a fairly wide toe box.  I went for my first run in them today and didn't regret my purchase.





The guy at the running store also recommended something like the Couch to 5k plan to get started again.  He said most people start too fast and are injured in 4-6 weeks...oops, that's me.  But I know I CAN run more and so starting so slow makes me grumpy...and the perfectionistic part of me doesn't even want to start if I can't just run.  So I am making the deliberate decision that I will start and that I will start slow.  I'm not doing the C25K though.  I'm going to use the Another Mother Runner 5K: Finish It plan. I liked this plan better because you move up a little quicker in the distances you run and it's 4 days a week instead of 3. It's hard for me to admit I am a beginner, but right now I am: I'm beginning again after pregnancy.  I am going to be wise and not overambitious {like I tend to be}.  I want to be able to keep running instead of not being able to run because I was stupid and got injured.  I did day one today and although I walked more than I ran, it's ok. I am running and I am optimistic.  



Gracie, my always enthusiastic running partner.


I love winter sunsets.



1 comment: