Monday, January 14, 2013

Achilles Tendonitis Stinks

I've been thinking about posting all week, but nobody likes a Debbie Downer and I'm not feeling very positive.  So I'm going to update you doing my very best to be optimistic and not just whine-y.

As you know from my last post, I bought new shoes.  My first run in them was fine.  My second run in them was awful.  My heels hurt, my shins hurt, my feet hurt.  And then hurt after I was done and the next day (and I'm only running every other day).  Crap I bought the wrong shoes 500 miles away and I can't just run in and return them and the receipt says exchanges only.  Kinda freaking out here...I spent all this money on shoes that I can't wear and I still don't have shoes to run in!  I think really I'm just grumpy because I'm not running. Anyway long story short I called the store and eventually ended up talking to the guy who sold them to me who remembered me and he told me to alternate runs with my new and old shoes because these are 10% stiffer than my old ones so they might take a transition time to get used to them and if by the end of January I still hurt send them back and he'll send me the other shoes that I liked (that he remembered what they were because I didn't know).  How's that for the longest sentence ever?  Anyway, I took them for another run after talking to him and they felt a ton better.  My feet didn't hurt nearly as badly afterward and had just a little heel pain in the right foot but that could be due to my Achilles Tendonitis.

So I am being tentatively optimistic.  This whole Achilles Tendonitis thing is freaking me out.  I don't really know what to do, but everything I read says it can be super serious.  I kinda liked not knowing what it was so I blissfully could keep running.  Ha--ignorance is bliss ;)

So anyway, I'm being super duper conservative.  I did 3 "runs" last week alternating 4 minutes of walking with 2 minutes of running.  As much as I want to jump back into it quick, that is what gets me injured and I'm going to be careful...I'm going to be careful...I'm going to be careful...

I've been doing more stretching and that seems to help.  And I read several sites that said that tight calves can contribute to Achilles Tendonitis.

It's feeling better.  I don't have the tell-tale pain anymore...so now to just keep it pain free.

Has anyone ever dealt with Achilles Tendonitis? Any tips on how to properly deal with it so I can really run again?

No comments:

Post a Comment