Friday, December 21, 2012

Crockpot Lasagna


I ran across a recipe for crockpot lasagna on Pinterest {where else?} and decided to try it.  I like lasagna, but I don't like the mess it makes.  The crockpot was super nice because then I could get my mess cleaned up hours before supper time and then it didn't seem so bad.  The original recipe called for ricotta cheese, but I find ricotta cheese too dry.  However, my husband doesn't like cottage cheese at all.  But the time I had cottage cheese and no ricotta, I threw the cottage cheese in the blender to disguise it from him and he told me it was the best lasagna he'd ever eaten.  So there you go, the best of both worlds.  This was super easy and I thought it turned out great!  I really wanted a second helping, but I was full and made myself stop eating.


Crockpot Lasagna
adapted from The Girl Who Ate Everything
2 cups cottage cheese, blended
1 egg
2 teaspoons dried parsley
1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, Italian seasoning, basil, salt and pepper
1/2 lb hamburger, cooked and drained
3 cups spaghetti sauce
2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
6 lasagna noodles {I used oven-ready ones}
Parmesan cheese, optional.

Combine hamburger and spaghetti sauce in a saucepan and simmer for 5 minutes.  In a medium size bowl, combine cottage cheese, egg, and spices.  Stir in 1-1/2 cups mozzarella cheese.

Put 1 cup of sauce in the bottom of a 4-6 quart slow cooker.  Layer 3 of the noodles over sauce breaking if needed to make them fit.  Spread half of the cottage cheese mixture over noodles.  Spread half of the remaining sauce over cottage cheese mixture.  Repeat layers with noodles, cheese mixture, and sauce.  Cook on low for 3 hours or until noodles are soft.  Sprinkle remaining cheese on top and sprinkle with Parmesan cheese if desired.  Cover with lid until cheese is melted.  Let sit 10 minutes before serving.

Note:  Do not try to speed up the cooking time by cooking on high and do not overcook or the noodles will get mushy.

No comments:

Post a Comment