Wednesday, December 26, 2012

2012 Running Recap

Best Race Experience 

Leprechaun Chase 10k.  I didn't know how it was going to go because I was 6 weeks pregnant.  But it ended up feeling fantastic and I was able to comfortably run faster than I expected.  The course was beautiful and it was just a beautiful day.

Worst Race Experience

Midsummer's Night Trail Run.  This was NOT the worst race because of the race {the race itself is fantastic} but because of my experience.  I was 24 weeks pregnant and ran way too hard.  This was the last race of my pregnancy because I realized that I couldn't run races without being competitive.


Best Run

I didn't really have a lot of great runs this year because of pregnancy.  But one run that sticks out in my mind was just before I found out I was pregnant.  I ran 3 miles under 8:00/mile--at the end of winter.  I also had a 5 mile run 20 weeks pregnant that felt great {just over 9:00/mile}.

Best new piece of gear

The mountain buggy jogging stoller I won!


Best piece of running advice

Most people run their short runs too slow and their long runs too fast.  This is definitely true for me--I tend to end up running every run about the same pace.  So as I get back into running now, my goal is to have my runs be different.  To push out of my comfort zone more on short runs/hard days and to sloooow down on the long runs and not be concerned with the pace.  I may need to stop running with a watch on those days.

Most inspirational runner

Since this was an Olympic year, I have started paying a lot closer attention to the elites.  And I love Kara Goucher and Amy Hastings.  I am also inspired by Kaci Lickteig.  She is from a small town in Nebraska and qualified and competed at the Olympic Trials last January in the marathon.  I have run against her {or I should say I have run in the same race she has}.

I am also so inspired by blogs I read...Janae at Hungry Runner Girl...Katie at Run Inspired....Courtney at C is for Courtney...I'm always excited when their new posts pop up in my google reader.
Kaci Lickteig


Sum up the year in a couple of words

hard, learning
I had never run during pregnancy before and it was a hard adjustment for me, but I learned so much, I know I am a better runner for it now.
Running pregnant with the other two in the stroller

Running ups

An unexpected good 10k {see above}...staying active during pregnancy...being able to run quicker post pregnancy.

Running Downs

running during pregnancy...finding out my {coming and going} injury is Achilles Tendonitis.

Surprise of the year

I felt like my running during pregnancy was so awful, but now postpartum, I was surprised at how much quicker and easier I have been able to get back into it.  I'm looking forward to 2013!


I'm linking up at Mommy Run Fast!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for linking up! Congrats on running so far into your pregnancy, and for bouncing back so well. That's impressive!
    And I love the advice you shared about running long runs more slowly, and short runs more quickly. I used to run all the same pace too, and making that change has definitely improved my running. Hope you had a great holiday!

    ReplyDelete