Friday, November 9, 2012

The Birth Story

There is a saying among midwives that your first labor is hard, the second one is easy and the third is unpredictable.  Well, my second labor was certainly more intense, but I didn't push for nearly as long (10 minutes vs 1 hour).  And my third definitely fell into the unpredictable.  I had done this twice before, you would think that I knew what was going on, but no.  Anyway let me back up.

Five days before Nolan actually showed up {Wednesday morning}, I was up for 2 hours during the night with contractions while uncomfortable, but definitely not super painful that were about 5 minutes apart.

Four days before he was born {Thursday morning}, I was up during the night with more painful than the night before contractions that were 8 minutes apart.

I had my 38 week appointment that day {Thursday} and I mentioned the contractions to my midwife and she let me decide if I wanted her to check me or not.  Curiosity got the best of me and I opted to be checked.  She said I was 2-3 centimeters, but still fairly firm.  She told me to be patient.  I tried, but I was anything but patient.  I was so done being pregnant.  I was so ready to meet my little boy {and give him a name!}.  That night Donovan took me out for spicy Chinese food--even his idea!

I was feeling rather grumpy and I knew that I needed to get my attitude straightened out or I'd go crazy.  Saturday night and Sunday afternoon.  I spent some time with the Lord praying that He would straighten out my attitude and that I would be glorifying to Him and that I would trust in His perfect timing.  Although we did try the spicy Chinese after church again.

Sunday evening from 5:30-10 I had contractions about 4 minutes apart.  But again not really painful.  I walked and walked and sat and bounced on the exercise ball.  And walked some more.  But like all the others, they fizzled out.  I was getting annoyed.  Either do something or go away!  We decided to go to bed about 10:30.

I woke up at 12:45 to a contraction and decided to get up and walk through it to see if it would go away {real contractions wouldn't} and needed to use the bathroom, but we were out of toilet paper so I went to get some out of the laundry room and on my way back, I felt a small gush of liquid.  I went in the bathroom and my underwear and shorts were soaked through.  I {TMI ALERT!} smelled it to make sure it wasn't pee.  And then woke Donovan up and asked him to do something really gross and smell it.  He assured me it wasn't pee and then it hit me that my water had broke and I for sure would be having this baby within 24 hours {they don't like you to go past that because of risk of infection}.

About 1:45 we called my MIL to come stay with the older two.  I was having contractions, but again they weren't super painful, BUT I was thrown for a loop because my water had never broke outside the hospital before.  With my second they had broke my water to speed things up and labor got super intense after that so I was expecting the same.

But remember, the third labor is unpredictable.

I ate a piece of toast with peanut butter and honey we headed to town {we live 15 minutes out of town}, but weren't in a hurry.  We went to Wal-mart first to get something to eat since I was still hungry--I got yogurt and a muffin.  I had put a pad on, but all the walking was making me leak more and I had to go to the restroom to change my pad.

About 3:30 we got to the hospital, but sat in the vehicle for awhile.  I called my midwife to tell her I was heading to the hospital {because again I was expecting things to go fairly quickly}.  I finally checked in about 4 am.  I knew that since my water had broke, they wouldn't send me home.

I had been having contractions about 3 minutes apart, until I checked into the hospital and they went to 6 minutes apart.  But I was 5 centimeters and soft and 80% effaced.

Drat.  I had made the same mistake that I had vowed to never make again.  I had come too early.  So I walked the halls.  And walked the halls.  And walked the halls.  My feet hurt.  I was tired.  I was hungry.

My midwife let me have some strawberries, blueberries and applesauce for breakfast.  And some juice.  I could have juice whenever I wanted.  I really just wanted Donovan's waffle.

And by about 7 am, I was 7 centimeters and still 80% effaced.

So I walked and walked.  And walked some more.  I was so mad at myself for having to walk at the hospital.  I had done this with my last one and hated it.  And here I was again.

Every time I would empty my bladder, the contractions would intensify because he would be lower, but still honestly the contractions weren't that bad.

The worst thing was when she would check me during a contraction.  My midwife is a great midwife, but she's not exactly what you'd call gentle.  And I was progressing slowly.  I was tired.  I was hungry and I was frustrated.

My midwife finally suggested nipple stimulation to see if we could get the contractions to intensify a bit.  So I alternated that with more walking.

The nipple stimulation finally did something, because I started getting much more intense contractions and of course I was hooked up to the monitor and my midwife and nurse were eating lunch.

My midwife came back and started talking pitocin.  {And if she says it, I completely trust her, even though that wasn't really high on my list of things I wanted to do.}  But she wasn't so concerned with getting him out, but she was concerned that I wouldn't contract back down quick enough after birth to slow the bleeding enough since even at this point my contractions were still 4 minutes apart.  My nurse brought in all the stuff to get an IV started {since I didn't have one yet} and about that time I started feeling pushy and my midwife checked and sure enough I finally was fully dilated.  I guess that threat of pitocin was enough.

I'm not sure how long I pushed, maybe 15 minutes.  The worst part was having to wait between the contractions.  I was just ready to be done.

Nolan Uriah Schneider was born at 1:08 pm, weighing 7 lbs 4 oz and was 20.5 inches long.  He had the cord wrapped around his neck, but didn't cause any concern and was absolutely beautiful.  He came out crying, but calmed down as soon as I got him.  My midwife gave me a shot of pitocin to help with the bleeding, but no further complications.







3 comments:

  1. Aw, how sweet! I'm glad you were able to avoid the Pitocin! My water also started leaking and contractions didn't pick up enough in time, so I had to get some. It made it a LOT harder to labor without an epidural! Congrats on baby #3! He's perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool story! I love all the pics. Congrats on your perfect little boy! Glad to hear he's such a good baby.

    ReplyDelete