Saturday, August 4, 2012

First 3rd Trimester Run and Running While Breastfeeding

I am now in my 3rd trimester!  The end getting closer :)  I had a great run this morning.  Jack is spending the day with Grandpa and Grammy and I just had Joel in the stroller and it's absolutely amazing what a difference that 30 pounds makes!  I am continuing my set run/walk routine and this morning I did:

1:00 run
1:00 walk
2:00 run
1:00 walk
3:00 run
1:00 walk
4:00 run
1:00 walk
5:00 run
1:00 walk
1:00 run
1:00 walk
2:00 run
1:00 walk
0:48 run (to finish)
_________
Total: 18:48 run
          7 minute walk

I could feel a little cramping in my lower belly and hips, but the walk breaks helped alleviate it.  I am now set on the scheduled walk breaks...it makes everything better and I don't ever overdo it then.  And this morning had a definite fall-ish feel to it.  It stormed overnight and there was a wonderful cool north breeze this morning {I even turned the AC off, opened the windows, and lowered the inside temperature by 2 degrees} and even at 10 when I was finally able to go, it was still a little cloudy and only 67 degrees.  The humidity felt lower {hence the fall feel} and because July was so dry even the irrigated corn is dry and the sound of the wind in the corn sounded like fall.  I know summer will most likely still stick around for awhile, but it will not last forever!  I was daydreaming about hard workouts after Baby :)


Running While Breastfeeding
*disclaimer:  I am not a medical professional and this is my opinions, experiences, and research.  If you have questions or problems talk to your doctor or lactation consultant*

I exclusively breastfed my first for 9 months until he weaned himself and we switched to formula until he was a year and almost exclusively breastfed my second for 11 months {sometimes if I had to be gone, I would just leave formula instead of pumping as he got older and it got harder to pump}.  Here I will share my top tips to successfully run while breastfeeding.


  • Establish your milk supply before you start exercising.  For some people, especially, strenuous exercise can decrease your milk supply so it's important to make sure your baby is getting enough and gaining weight before you start really working out again.  And also, to establish a good milk supply, it requires a lot of time spent feeding, so you probably won't even feel like doing too much.
  • Drink, drink, drink.  Being properly hydrated is essential to keeping your milk supply up.  And if you are sweating you are going to need extra water.  A great way to remember to drink water is to have a cup or water bottle that you always have when you nurse the baby so while baby is eating, you are drinking.
  • Eat enough calories.  Breastfeeding can burn up to an additional 500 calories a day.  While this can be great for weight loss, if you are getting too few calories, that too can affect your milk supply.  Some people have to actually cut back on strenuous exercise for awhile because they can't keep their milk supply up.  Some other way to boost your milk supply are:  Mother's Milk herbal tea, fenugreek and brewer's yeast {can get in capsule form}.    
  • Run right after feeding or pumping.  This is important for 2 reasons: 1)  Your breasts will be much bigger and heavier than pre-pregnancy and even pregnancy and it is much more comfortable.  You are doing this mostly for your sake :)  It's also not a whole lot of fun having a starving baby and you are dripping in sweat either.  This is a bigger deal the more often they feed so for me, the older my babies were, the less of a concern this was. {And I have heard that the lactic acid can change the taste of breast milk and some babies don't mind, but other won't like it.} 2)  You have more time to be gone without worrying whether you have a hungry baby or not.  My children were on pretty predictable schedules and I knew about how long I would have before I would need to nurse again.  My husband was much happier about watching a happy baby as well.
  • Invest in a good bra!  You are going to need one with the bigger and heavier breasts and you really do not want to damage all those ligaments in your breasts.  And it is also extremely uncomfortable to be bouncing everywhere.  Before I ever got pregnant, I was a B cup and then during pregnancy and nursing I went up to a D {and after a few months and post nursing I was a C}.  Let me tell you, there is a huge difference!  I looked long and hard for a bra and was very disappointed with the lack of support in what were claimed to be high impact for larger chests.  I finally settled on Moving Comfort's Juno bra and I love it.  I bought it in a 36C first, but found I got better support with a 34D. However, I am layering a Nike drifit bra over it now during pregnancy.  If you are a C or larger, I would highly recommend Moving Comfort bras.  They are pricey, but worth every penny!  I found mine on sale for $20-25 and amazon has pretty good prices on them as well. {they are normally $52!!}.

If you have any questions feel free to ask!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks again for a very informative post! Nursing and running have been on my mind and this answered a lot of questions for me. I also am learning to embrace the walking breaks, and I can't wait to get to running hard again! I love that feeling of pushing yourself and leaving it all out there. Not possible to do while pregnant. We'll get back to that soon though! :)

    ReplyDelete