Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Running and Running Form

Today I got up bright and early (truly!)  I was at least partially awake since 5:00 am (when my 3 year old needed to go potty) and got out of bed at 5:30 am.  I wanted to get 4 miles in today.  But that didn't happen.  I forgot my maternity support belt and I wish I hadn't.  I did think of it just a couple of minutes in, but decided, "Oh, I'll be fine.  Running has been going better."  Ha, famous last words.  I really think running has been going better because of it!  Baby bounced on my bladder, I had an on and off crampy feeling in my lower belly, and my lower back and hips hurt.  I truly think the belt helps all of those things and therefore I won't forget it again.  And my shorts--they didn't like my pregnancy thighs.  Time to retire those shorts until post baby (weight-loss).  I did get 3 (super slow) miles in.  Better than not running, but not a run that makes me feel better (like I had hoped).  And I may or may not have refueled with a doughnut.


I have always struggled with running form.  When I first started running my arms were too high and I looked down too much.  Then my arms were too low, but at least I looked up.  And now it has kind of evened out, but my arms still have issues.  I run with my shoulders too much (and am much too tight) and don't simply swing my arms through the shoulders.  Fortunately my feet/legs aren't too bad...Anyway, I ran across these videos.  They are a thing of beauty.

4 comments:

  1. don't get down on yourself about mileage/pace. you're still running && that's AWESOME!

    as far as form goes, something that helps me is to try and remember to keep my wrists by my belly button. they of course don't always stay down there, but it prevents me from running like a t-rex!

    have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you about the tough runs. I've had a few of them lately! I feel like my maternity support belt helps so much too. But even with it I still have issues like chafing in between my thighs, a squished bladder, and just an overall feeling of heaviness. Today I ran 3 miles and had to fight through the entire thing. I felt so slow and big. But when I finished and looked at myself and my big 29 week belly in the mirror I felt proud that I went out there and did it. And you should too! You're doing so many good things for your body and your baby! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) That is what I have to remind myself. I am running and that's more than most people do.

      Delete
    2. I also wanted to let you know that I have nominated your blog for the Very Inspirational Blogger Award! All of the information is in my latest post: http://runinspired.wordpress.com/2012/07/15/the-very-inspiring-blogger-award/. I chose you because I have loved reading your adorable family and your life as a running mom, with #3 on the way!! I think you're such an inspiration for so many people! Keep up the great work!!!

      Delete