Monday, July 2, 2012

Good runs and an ultrasound

Running finally started to feel better this week.  My muscles did not tighten up the second I started running to never loosen up again.

I changed some things this week.
1)  My friend Google told me that muscle cramps during pregnancy could be caused by the increased weight and/or dehydration.  So I drank lots more water, especially since it has been so hot and did all my running in the morning.

2)  I upped my potassium intake.  Why do you need potassium you may ask?  Well according to the University of Maryland Medical Center:

"Potassium is a very important mineral for the proper function of all cells, tissues, and organs in the human body. It is also an electrolyte, a substance that conducts electricity in the body, along with sodium, chloride, calcium, and magnesium. Potassium is crucial to heart function and plays a key role in skeletal and smooth muscle contraction, making it important for normal digestive and muscular function."

Bananas are your classic source of good potassium, but I don't like bananas so I needed to find something else.  So I found this list and was surprised to see how many thing I liked were on the list.

3)  I gently stretched throughout the day.



I even got a 4 mile run in on Saturday.  I hadn't run over 2 miles for quite awhile, but with my trail run coming up in 2 weeks, I decided that I needed to really test my legs out.  It felt great.  I picked the hilliest (of the flat) routes and set off.  I took it easy and finished in 38:26 and didn't have to walk {yay!}.  I'm hoping to run under 40 minutes for the race, but I'll have to see how I feel that day.  I'm not going to risk Baby just to run a little faster.  

I think that my new maternity support belt helped tremendously.  It kept Baby off my bladder so I didn't feel like I needed to pee every step.  But I also think that reducing the pressure helped my hips and legs.  Definitely worth the investment.



And our big news is 
It's a BOY!
And not a shy little boy, this is the first thing we saw.

This makes boy #3 for us.  O boy, o boy :)  Now to pick a name...

4 comments:

  1. Congrats on your baby boy!!!! That is so exciting! I'm glad you had better runs this week. I am also wearing my maternity belt now and have found that it has helped a lot. I had a few really tough running weeks in the second trimester and now that I'm past them running feels a lot better. Hang in there!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so encouraging the the 2nd trimester might be harder. I ran 5 miles yesterday and felt great. Which is the furthest I've run since March. It was exciting :)

      Delete
  2. Im a mama to three boys as well.. I may have had the same spread eagle position pop up right away.. and I may have said "Is that a penis?" in a pitiful and tearful voice.. and I may have cried the entire way home.. haha.. I love my little guy to pieces of course!! He's almost 4.. but man oh man did I have my heart set on two boys and a little girl..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had hoped for a girl this time around as well. I kept telling myself it was a boy so then it wasn't such a surprise at the ultrasound. I made it through the ultrasound and home and the next couple of days before I cried...now I'm looking forward to another boy :)

      Delete